Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Harry Crane Takes the Night Off

I was watching Revolution on NBC last night because, well, I don't know, and this Google ad came on and creeped me out.





The father and daughter characters grow closer to each other to each other using Google products after the mom dies. It kind of reminded me of the Apple FaceTime promo video that showed people using sign language. A major and important difference between the two though is that the Apple video didn't reference some tragedy which had recently robbed the FaceTime users of their hearing.

Perhaps I was only turned off by this Google ad's heart-string-tugging because the characters on Revolution were, only minutes before, discussing a dead mom.

Even worse for Google, I think, was that mere minutes after their ad, a character on Revolution revealed that he had worked for Google and his $80 million savings was now worthless in their post-apocalyptic world. And this was part of a general message about over-reliance on technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment